Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dear Ditchy Ditchersons....

So I've got one blog written about how amazing friends can be, so I am now going to balance out the scale and write a blog about how disappointing friends can be. I suppose maybe I spoke too soon, of how excited I was to be surrounded by people who loved, supported and befriended me by choice. I think now it was maybe more the case of convenience and location.

Prior to the summer, I saw these people weekly, daily, often because of work schedules which then led to hanging out after hours. Good times were had, connections were established and I felt I was a, dare I say, important person in these individuals' lives. It would then be safe to assume that upon returning from my trip, these people would have made some sort of effort to either attend certain coming home party events, hang out when invited, or *gasp* call and make plans of their own! I have been bailed on in the last three weeks by "a few" certain people, MORE than I think I was ever bailed on by M when we were quasi-dating. Okay, that's a stretch. M ditched me more than I'll ever be ditched by anyone else in my entire life, but this is a close second to that! Not returning phone calls, responding to emails/messages/facebook comments, and almost pissing me off the most - agreeing to make plans and then either not being available when they say they will be, or, confirming plans and texting me 10 minutes before they're to arrive at my house, saying they don't feel like it any more.

It doesn't help that two particular individuals nearly cost me my job when I came home from my trip. They had every ability to clear my name, but were too selfish, and would rather slink back into the shadows to avoid getting caught (which they did anyway, finally), but in the mean time, while I was taking the heat from security people at work, these "friends" did nothing but fuel the fire. Identifying my handwriting (supposedly), and claiming to be "covering for a friend in the store..." What kind of "friend" does that? Anyway... it's a done deal now.

It's not just a specific person or two, I'm realizing that several people I thought were closer to me, really aren't close at all. Whether they were and faded away, or never were but I was blind to it, I don't really know. I just think it's a shame how quickly seemingly tight connections and bonds can deteriorate. It's not that hard. If you want to hang out, hang out. If you want to talk over coffee or the phone, do it! But don't lead your friends on. If you want nothing to do with them, be honest, don't be a jerk. /bitterness

No comments: